Creating Multi-part Jobs - Advanced Tutorial
About this advanced tutorial
This Advanced Tutorial introduces you to Multi-part jobs. You will perform a series of exercises which demonstrate how to use 'Parts' to combine several Agfa Apogee Prepress jobs that belong to the same product (cover, body, insert, flap around cover, etc.) into a single job. It also shows you how to use 'Production Sets' to replace Discard flows with a simpler single flow which allows you to specify different processing and output settings.
:APOGEE Prepress handles two types of jobs:
- Single-part jobs: A single-part job uses the same settings for the entire job: It has a single job name, single order number, single production plan with jobglobal parameter values and a single unstructured Run List.
- Multi-part jobs: A multi-part job is more complex than a simple job. This type of job typically comprises a number of sections (cover, editorial, sports section, etc.) each with different properties (paper type, color or B&W, binding style, number of colors, etc.). Additionally, different sheets may be printed on different presses, and so on.
Although you can produce simple jobs that address many of these more complex issues, there are limitations. Multi-part jobs on the other hand are specifically designed to handle these extra levels of complexity, and allow you to simplify your production plan.
This Advanced Tutorial is divided into a series of 8 lessons. In these lessons, you will learn how to:
- Create a 2-part SaddleStitched job (body and a cover) with the same settings. The result will be an integrated job in which both body and cover parts use the same paper, colors and press.
- Create a 2-part PerfectBound job (body and a cover). The result will be a job in which the body and cover parts can be processed separately (using different paper, colors and press).
- Create a 3-part job (body, cover and insert). The result will be a job in which all three parts can be processed separately (using different paper, colors and press).
- Create a 2 part job (body and 6-page cover). The result will be a 2-part job with a 6-page cover on one sheet and 16 body pages on the other.
- Create a cover part which needs to be processed with a different color (a spot color). To do this, you will create and use an additional Production Set for the spot color.
- Create a cover part with a different plate size. To do this, you will create and use an additional Production Set for the different plate size.
- Set up four body pages to print in gray. To do this, you will create and use an additional Production Set for the gray pages.
- Create a job ticket with 3 parts. Sample documents will be automatically input by MIS and you will check the output from a TIFF Platesetter.
Who Should Follow this Tutorial
This tutorial has been prepared for Administrators and Operators who want to learn about Multi-part Jobs in Agfa Apogee Prepress by performing step-by-step procedures.
You will need approximately 3 hours day to complete the lessons in this Advanced Tutorial.
- Advanced Tutorial Objectives
- Before You Begin
- Contact Us
- What are Multi-part Jobs?
- Defining Multi-part Jobs
- Lesson 1: Creating a Basic Multi-part SaddleStitched Job - Fully included in the sample file
- Lesson 2: Creating a Basic Multi-part PerfectBound Job
- Lesson 3: Creating a 3-part Job with an Insert
- Lesson 4: Creating a 2-part Job with a 6-page Cover
- Lesson 5: Creating a Job with a Spot Color on the Cover
- Lesson 6: Creating a Job with a Smaller Media Size
- Lesson 7: Creating a Job Containing Gray Pages
- Lesson 8: Creating an MIS Job
Download the Multi-Part Advanced Tutorial sample file.
Click here to download the resources for this tutorial.
Contact your local Agfa sales or service representative to purchase the full version of this advanced tutorial or send us an email.