GWG 1v4 Profiles for Apogee Preflight
Apogee Preflight Profiles
Apogee Prepress 7.1
What it does
The GWG 1v4 specifications describe what PDF files should contain so that they can reliably be exchanged and processed by graphic arts companies and workflows. There are specifications for various market segments such as advertising, commercial and newspaper printing as well as large format and digital printing.
GWG 1v4 compliant files are based on the industry standard PDF/X-1a file format. They have, however, passed a number of additional quality checks to avoid issues with low resolution images, white text overprinting, high total ink coverage, etc.
The Apogee Preflight GWG 1v4 profiles allow users to check if incoming PDF files were made according to the GWG specifications. This assures that these files will be properly processed and it guarantees good output quality. It saves valuable operator time, manual corrections will be unnecessary and document revisions can be avoided. The profiles also enable :Apogee users to create high quality GWG 1v4 compliant files for archiving or exchange with other GWG 1v4 compliant RIPs or workflow solutions. The result will be identical on the different systems. When a file is successfully processed with a GWG 1v4 profiles for Apogee Preflight, you can be sure that the PDF meets the following criteria:
- Black text smaller than 12 points should be set to overprint. White text and line-art should not be set to overprint.
- No layers are present in the PDF. The designer can use layers in the layout application but they should not be embedded in the PDF as so called Optional Content.
- All pages in the PDF need to have the same size. Empty pages are not allowed.
- For ads (the MagazineAds & NewspaperAds profiles) the PDF should contain one single page.
- There are restrictions on Total Ink Coverage, with the maximum value depending on the intended use:
- max. 245% for newspaper
- max. 305% for magazine ads and commercial web offset
- max. 340% for general commercial printing.
- Spot colors are not allowed unless the profile has the word 'Spot' in its name.
- The output intent and matching embedded ICC profile need to be in the list of GWG recommended ICC profiles.
- Text should be at least 8 points large for newspaper printing and 5 points large for all other applications.
- Colored text needs to be at least 10 points for newspaper printing, 9 points for magazine ads and web offset, 8 points for all other applications.
- Lines should be at least 0.14 points for screen printing and 0.124 points for all other applications.
- The minimum resolution of images depends on the preflight profile that is selected. An error should be displayed if the resolution is critically low (e.g. below 150 ppi for color or grayscale images printed using sheet offset). A warning is shown if the resolution is considered too low (e.g. less than 224 ppi for color or grayscale images printed using sheet offset). Full details for each printing standard can be found in the GWG documentation.
- The image resolution should not be too high. This once again depends on the preflight profile that is chosen (e.g. 450 ppi for color or grayscale images printed using sheet offset).
The Ghent PDF Workgroup (GWG) has confirmed that Agfa Apogee Preflight is compliant with their 1v4 specifications
Click here to download the full collection of all GWG 1v4 profiles (13 profiles) for Apogee Prepress 7.1
Or download the profiles individually:
- GWG_WebSpotHiRes_1v4 v7.1.5 - commercial web offset printing (heatset) and gravure in CMYK and spot colors, up to 175 lpi
- GWG_WebSpotNews_1v4 v7.1.5 - newspaper printing (coldset) in CMYK and spot colors, up to 133 lpi
- GWG_CmykVeryHiRes_1v4 v7.1.5 - for(commercial) sheet offset and digital printing in CMYK, above 175 lpi (Sublima) or FM screening (CristalRaster)
- GWG_MagazineAds_1v4 v7.1.5 - ads for offset and gravure printing in CMYK
- GWG_NewspaperAds_1v4 v7.1.5 - ads for newspaper printing in CMYK and spot colors
- GWG_ScreenPrintCmyk_1v4 v7.1.5 - screen printing and large format printing in CMYK
- GWG_ScreenPrintSpot_1v4 v7.1.5 - screen printing and large format printing in CMYK and Spot
- GWG_SheetCmyk_1v4 v7.1.5 - (commercial) sheet offset and digital printing in CMYK, up to 175 lpi
- GWG_SheetSpotHiRes_1v4 v7.1.5 - (commercial) sheet offset and digital printing in CMYK and spot colors, up to 175 lpi
- GWG_SheetSpotLoRes_1v4 v7.1.5 SheetSpotLoRes - (commercial) sheet offset and digital printing in CMYK and spot colors, up to 133 lpi
- GWG_SpotVeryHiRes_1v4 v7.1.5 SpotVeryHiRes - (commercial) sheet offset and digital printing in CMYK and spot colors, above 175 lpi (Sublima) or FM screening (CristalRaster)
- GWG_WebCmykHiRes_1v4 v7.1.5 - commercial web offset printing (heatset) and gravure in CMYK, up to 175 lpi
- GWG_WebCmykNews_1v4 v7.1.5 - newspaper printing (coldset) in CMYK, up to 133 lpi