Shrink the SQL Database transaction log file
This document describes the procedure to decrease the size of SQL Database transaction log files in Apogee Prepress 7.1.
When the incremental backup is enabled in the Database management tab, it is possible that your SQL Database transaction log files (FW_DefaultStorageServer LDF) does not shrink in size when performing a Database Backup.
:Apogee Prepress uses a feature called Watermarks to warn users when disk space is running low. It will even prevent itself from using a disk if the free space remaining reaches a critically low level (disabled disk). However, when this check is disabled, it can result in full disks.
How to decrease the SQL Database transaction log file?
In order to decrease the size of the SQL Database transaction log files you need to follow the procedure below.
If you are not sure how to follow this procedure, place a call to Agfa Technical Support.
- Log in on the Prepress server with the Prepress client set as Administrator.
- Go to the System Overview and select your Prepress system.
- Open the System Configuration again and select the "DataBaseMaintenance" tab.
- Disable the "Schedule Incremental backup" option and press ok.
- Open the System Configuration and select the "DataBaseMaintenance" tab again.
- Click on the "Backup Now..." button.
- After the Backup has finished enable the "Schedule Incremental backup" setting again.
NOTE 1: Make sure the Backup Scratch disk has enough free space. When creating a full or Incremental
backup, the backup is first written into this folder before copied to the proper location. If there is not enoughspace, backups can't be made and LDF files keep growing.
NOTE 2: It is strongly advised to use disk storage watermarks. Apogee Prepress will send a warning notification when disk space is running low and even prevent itself from using a disk if the free space remaining reaches a critically low level. Read our 'Did You Know' document about Watermarks for more info.