Connecting digital presses with Apogee Prepress
The Apogee prepress workflow solution can be integrated perfectly within a digital printing solution. As with the traditional prepress workflow for offset, efficiency and consistency are also the keywords for the digital printing solution. Due to the flexibility of Apogee, either a one-to-one combination Apogee to digital press, or a hybrid combination Apogee to CtP and digital press is possible.
Below is an overview out which digital printer can be used with your Apogee Prepress workflow. Note that all digital printers are supported by exporting a PDF file! The feedback coming from overview below would allow you to check if your digital printer and its digital front end (RIP) are supported by Apogee Prepress.
The JDF connectivity is done by the digital front end, which comes from either your digital printer supplier, or from a generic third party DFE/RIP (e.g. EFI Fiery).
It is possible that the JDF functionality requires an update or an extra module for the DFE. Contact your supplier for more information.
Special Note For EFI Fiery:The FJDF version in the table is the version as currently shipping with the Fiery RIP for that engine. Agfa highly recommends to update the FJDF to the latest version, as available from the Fiery website at https://www.efi.com/products/fiery-servers-and-software/fiery-integration/fiery-jdf/download The FJDF is part of the "Fiery Utilities Package" and referenced as "Command Workstation" download on the Fiery web page. The update MUST be installed on the Fiery server itself.
- Agfa Offset does not have enough information if your digital printer is not in the overview.
- The company 'Oce' changed name to 'Canon'.
- For some recent PRISMAsync versions, Apogee 11.3 may have problems reading the exported DevCaps. A new version of the SubmitTestTool (v1.3.15 or 1.3.14) is required then, Ask Agfa HQ for this.
- Initial testing = a basic connectivity test was done
- Basic testing = basic jobs were printed, finishing options done by the DFE
- Basic finishing testing = basic jobs were printed, finishing options done by Apogee Prepress
- Extensive testing = complex jobs were printed, more finishing combinations were tested
- The JDF connection to Xerox FreeFlow is currently not supported.
- If you have an EFI Fiery, PRISMAsync, Konica-Minolta IC-60x or an HP Indigo DFE that supports JDF, but is not listed in the overview, contact Agfa Offset HQ via your local Agfa representative.
- The finishing options are customer dependent. Therefore, they might not work for all combinations. A careful setup by the integrator can resolve this.
How to obtain the information on my DFE JDF setup?
For EFI Fiery
Check your Printer dialog box.
EFI provides a list of printers that support JDF at: http://www.efi.com/products/fiery-servers-and-software/fiery-integration/fiery-jdf/supported-printers/
To check the installed JDF Connectivity and Finishing Options in more detail:
- Start the Fiery Command WorkStation and connect to your printer
- Select the Server 'Device Center' tab Server Configuration
- Select 'Job Submission' tab
- Search for 'JDF Setup'
- Check if JDF is present and enabled
- Open the 'Printer Installed Options' section to see the installed Finishing Options
For HP Indigo
Check the About screen of your server (make a screenshot as reference).
A RIP is required that has built in JDF support.
- To find the version of the RIP:
Check 'Version of printer software' at
- To find the version (Mark) of the 'Connector' (on recent RIPs):
Check 'Version of PRISMAsync software' (Mark xx) at
If no Mark information is provided, the PRISMAsync software is Mark 6 or older.
- To check if JMF Support is enabled,
Check for 'JMF Support' at: